Nephtalie Demei (the founder of TEDxAmsterdamED) and I will pull this initiative – we are already drawing the contours. They are as follows:
- Quarterly or bi-monthly events.
- Format: TEDx meets unconference. High quality, high involvement, high energy, great output, big effect.
- Starting point: everybody is the expert. We want less ‘broadcasting’ and more co-creation sessions, where smaller groups (max 40p) discuss topics brought up by the attendees themselves.
- Similar to TED, in case of oversubscription we will select the attendees of each session.
- In general, the sessions are meant to unite those who: share the vision, have great ideas or initiatives, want to be inspired or are otherways interested in these subjects and want to contribute to enlarge this movement.
- The events should ideally be free for participants, costs covered by sponsoring.
- Topics include: showcasing & discussing existing initiatives, what should children learn, how do children learn, how can good solutions scale, how can they be financed, bringing together initiatives in need for funding and investors, etc.
- Starting point: no complaining at how bad it is now or talking about today’s problems in education, instead a positive forward movement towards creating the new reality.
What is needed:
- A team of highly motivated organizers, including the following functions:
- Curator(s): decide on the themes, format, speakers
- Facilities: organize venue(s), logistics, necessary technology, subscriptions, etc
- Sponsors: gets financing to keep the event free for attendees
- Media: get media-attention incl social media, simulcast/ livestream the event and/ or make content incl videos available immediately afterwards
The organizing committee is made up of passionate, highly motivated people, who go for nothing less than top quality.
It is logical that ‘we’ start in the Netherlands, but of course such initiatives can start anywhere in the world. I’m envisaging a similar movement to what Mobile Monday achieved 3-7 years ago.
If these events become successful, we can think of ways how to scale the format in order to reach more people.
Please reach out if you want to help organize these events – Nephtalie and I will get back to you soon. You can also share your ideas and thoughts in the comments below!